Whether you are working or enjoying a day binge-watching your favorite shows – a healthy routine will energize you throughout your day.
Make the most of your breaks with these tips.
Looking at multiple screens throughout the day can take a toll on your eyes. Decrease eye strain with these exercises.
REDUCE EYE FATIGUE
Shift your eyes every 20 minutes toward something located 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds. Looking far away relaxes the focusing muscle inside the eye to reduce fatigue.
STRENGTHEN YOUR EYES
Look far away at an object for 10–15 seconds, then gaze at something up close for 10–15 seconds. Then look back at the distant object. Do this 10 times.
TAKE A BREAK
To reduce eye strain and neck-, back- and shoulder pain, take frequent screen breaks — at least one 10-minute break every hour. Stand up, move about and stretch your body to reduce tension and muscle fatigue.
Spending too much time looking at devices may get in the way of living your healthiest life.
Take a tech break with these helpful tips:
- Limit phone checks. Start with 10-minute increments
- Turn off notifications
- Put away your phone during meals
- Remove technology from the bedroom
- Remember that missing up-to-the-minute updates is okay
- Delete social media apps from your phone
Water helps replenish cells and regulate body functions and temperature. Make it a daily goal to stay hydrated by using these tips.
If you are thirsty, you may already be dehydrated. Try these quick and easy ways to get some water into your system.
- Add flavor to your water with fun, fresh options like lemon, lime, cucumber, basil, mint or lavender
- Juice, milk, tea and coffee can contribute to your daily hydration needs, but water is a great option – it’s calorie-free, affordable and widely available
- Drink water before, during and after exercise to hydrate appropriately
- Enjoy water-rich foods such as watermelon, cucumber, celery, lettuce, tomatoes and strawberries
- Drink a glass of water when you wake in the morning and before each meal
- Keep a water bottle with you throughout the day as a reminder to hydrate
Make the best of your time between your favorite TV shows or streaming content. Take a small fitness break with these exercises.
Place your forearms on the seat of a couch, bed or stable surface. Walk back until your body is in a straight line from head to toes. Tighten abs, steady breathing. Hold up to a minute.
Place a folded towel or pillow under one knee. Shift hips forward, feeling the stretch across the hip of the back leg. Hold for 30 seconds while breathing steadily.
Extend both arms in front of you. As you open your arms, squeeze the muscles between your shoulder blades. Exhale and hold for a count of five. Relax and repeat five times.
You can also work out anytime with these weekly workouts.